Friday, April 24, 2009

News

Sorry for not posting in... good grief, it's been two weeks!

I guess I have a good excuse, though. My college class ends in two weeks and I had a final paper due and finals next week. Regular high school classes end the week after, so I apologize in advance if I don't post for a bit, as I've got finals, papers, and all that good stuff.

Anyway, lots has happened since Easter.

That Monday I got stupendous news: I am an Honors Scholar at my school, which means I am an all-Honors/AP student with a 95 or above in each class. I've been an Honors Scholar for four straight semesters now!

Wednesday brought equally good news. In early March I applied for a Detweiler Scholarship, which pays for a college class in the humanities over the summer. Detweilers are reserved for students who've been Honors Scholars for at least two consecutive semesters. My guidance counselor told me that I had been selected for a course!

It's funny how, for the briefest moment, you think everything's going right, then, crash, you fall flat.

That's kind of what happened to me. Literally.

Friday night, Cassie's brother John came over because it's no fun to watch the Bourne Ultimatum alone (Cassie refuses to watch). John's name is literally John Locke and he thinks it's funny that I named one of my cats that. It's nice when he's around because he can lug three 28-pound jugs of cat litter at once.

This might be a good time to mention that D'Artagnan has taken to following me around with his tail wrapped around my ankle.

Girl + stairs + tail of invisible cat = ?

That's right. A sprained ankle.

And so I'm laying there, sprawled at the bottom of the stairs, staring at the ceiling (this was before the pain actually kicked in) and I hear tripping and scuffling and "Move, Buster!" And D'Artagnan is licking me, crying aloud, which I didn't know he was capable of. He sounds like a squeaky recorder.

Then the other four cats descend on me, demanding noisily to know what all the commotion was about.
When I actually get around to sitting up, which John wouldn't let me do until I'd shown him I hadn't broken my neck, I looked down and saw this giant purple goose egg on the side of my ankle. I should have known that when it didn't hurt and all the rest of me did that it was going to be trouble...

In other news, a brown squirrel has taken up residence in the tree behind the house. He sits up on his hind legs and makes funny noises at Cocoa through the window. I think he thinks because she's so small she's a squirrel, too. Cassie named him Chipmonkey and Cocoa's started chittering at him. (Thank you so much for explaining chittering! I was so worried it would be something bad!)

Well, back to studying...

-L

5 comments:

  1. Lily, This is wonderful news on the Detweiler Scholarship! My Granddaughter is also doing High School and Collage at the same time. It is a hard program bur you are proving up to the challenge!Study hard but don't forget that Kittie cuddles can help relieve the stress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really impressed with your grades. Congratulations on your Detweiler Scholarship. Bummer about the ankle. Yup, it's generally bad news when something like that happens and it doesn't hurt right away. I think that part of your body goes into shock or something and delays the pain signals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Lily!! That is certainly something to be proud of! I took some college course when I was in high school as well and I know that it isn't easy. Keep up the great work! I hope your ankle is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done Lily, you must have worked super hard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi,
    Very nice to visit your blog and found very interesting. I also have a blog www.philanthropist.org, it is Philanthropist.org: A market-based micro-philanthropy exchange that joins charitable donors with workateers.

    Thank you

    Eric Melin

    ReplyDelete